- Malcom Forbes Award (Overseas Press Club) for reports on companies profiting from censorship and surveillance (2011)
- Best in Business award (Society of American Business Editors and Writers) for the same series (2011)
- Scoop Award Honorable Mention (The Society of Publishers in Asia) for reporting on Green Dam (2010)
- Nominated for a Webby Award for online film and video (2009)
- Guest speaker: Clinton Global Initiative, Women in Tech, China 2.0 at Stanford University
- Book: “Pope Francis: From the End of the Earth to Rome” (2013)
Sex Positive Journalism
Loretta Chao is a reporter dedicated to normalizing objective, well-informed conversations about sex.
Welcome to my website! I’m Loretta Chao, a freelance writer and multimedia creator specializing in human sexuality.
Though we don’t always talk about it, sex is deeply embedded in the foundation of our lives and the economy. From the multi-billion dollar sex industry itself, to healthcare, public policy, technology, religion, education, commerce—you name it—it’s hard to find a corner of society that isn’t touched by sex.
My background is in journalism. I was a reporter at The Wall Street Journal for many years, covering business, technology, China and Brazil, which required an open-minded and objective approach to complex industries, economies and cultures. I specialized in identifying the stories on any given topic that were most important to tell, in a way that was accessible to readers and viewers across the globe.
That’s also the view I take on sex, the biggest story that isn’t (yet) covered objectively and thoroughly—at least not commensurate with its role in our everyday lives. So I created this website to bring you the latest news related to sex, from other writers and by me, and to facilitate honest and open discussion about everything related to it.
Check out my portfolio to see samples of my work: https://thesexreporter.com/portfolio/
Send pitches and inquiries to loretta [at] thesexreporter [dot] com
“Award-Winning Wall Street Journal Reporter Launches Website About Sex” (Press Release, September 2017)